In this exciting new course you will see how, with unique literary skill and artistry, Matthew portrays the character of Jesus in the light of the Old Testament’s promises and prophecies.
This course is designed to take you through some of the important themes found in Matthew’s Gospel, especially the themes of Jesus as the New Moses and the Transformative Restoration of the Davidic Kingdom. As you will see, Matthew skillfully paints the literary picture of Jesus as the New Moses who has come to restore the obliterated Davidic Kingdom, something God had promised he would do centuries earlier in Israel’s history, by ushering in the Kingdom of Heaven on earth.
This exciting course will take you through Matthew’s Gospel from the genealogy of Jesus, the Baptism by John, Jesus’ wilderness temptations, the Sermon on the Mount, through to Jesus’ ministry of miracles and his Missionary Discourse to the disciples. From there you will walk with Jesus as he travels to Caesare’a Philip’pi to bestow the Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven upon Peter. You will see how Jesus enters Jerusalem and listen to him give his earth-shattering final discourse on the Mount of Olives before his climatic passion, death, and Resurrection.
Join us as we walk with Jesus on the path of discovering God’s divine plan for Israel and the Church, for both Jew and Gentile alike.
- To understand how Matthew presents Jesus as a New Moses and a New David-like figure in order to accomplish a transformative restoration of the Old Testament’s Davidic Kingdom through a New Exodus.
- To see the five-fold structure of Matthew’s Gospel as the New Covenant’s New Torah.
- To learn how Jesus’ New Covenant abundantly fulfills and surpasses the Old Covenant.
- To discover how Jesus fulfills Old Testament prophecies throughout his ministry and mission.
- To understand the specific sayings and events recorded in Matthew’s Gospel in their proper Old Testament context.
Lecture 1: Interpreting Scripture and Introducing Matthew.
Lecture 2: The Book of Genesis: Matthew’s Genealogy of Jesus (Chapter 1).
Lecture 3: Jesus is King: Birth of Messiah (Chapter 2).
Lecture 4: Jesus, New Davidic Warrior-King (Chapters 3-4).
Lecture 5: Greatest Sermon Ever Told (Chapters 5-7).
Lecture 6: The Power of the Kingdom (Chapters 8-9).
Lecture 7: Two Kingdoms Collide (Chapters 10-12).
Lecture 8: The Keys that Unlock Heaven (Chapters 13-16).
Lecture 9: ‘By What Authority’ (Chapters 17-20).
Lecture 10: End is Near: Jesus in Jerusalem (Chapters 21-24).
Lecture 11: Come, Lord Jesus: Parousia (Chapters 24-25).
Lecture 12: The Greatest Story Ever Told (Chapters 26-28).